Monday, November 5, 2012

Gratitude and Edification



In 4th-grade, I had this spunky first-year teacher named Mrs. Waldrop.  She was young, full of energy and eager to put into play all of the creative ideas she'd had while preparing to become a teacher.  There was the balloon dart throwing game where you'd pop a balloon and have to write a sentence with the spelling word that fell out (which seems a bit dangerous now that I think about it - I mean really, how adept could a 4th-grader possibly be at wielding an object considered a state-of-the-art weaponry in Medieval times?), her very own version of The Price is Right that I'm sure instilled some math component, and the daily "Gratitude and Edification" segment. After the morning announcements and Pledge of Allegiance, students who chose to do so could raise their hand and share something they were thankful for or a way they had improved themselves.  Often answers involved bragging about winning a softball game or getting new Nike sneakers under the guise of being "thankful" for them - after all it was 4th grade and still very much in the "I am the center of the universe" phase of one's childhood.  However, it was a great vocabulary lesson - what 4th-grader (or 30 year-old for that matter) knows the definition of "edification?"  Edification: /ˌedəfiˈkāSHən/. n. Intellectual, moral, or spiritual improvement; enlightenment.  Well done, Mrs. Waldrop and all before the days of Pinterest.  How did you do it?

So being that it's the time of year to reflect on what you are thankful for, here's a little "Gratitude and Edification" session  - adult Caroline version, and only a sample of a much larger list, in no particular order:

1.  I am thankful for my sweet furries - there is no better expression of unconditional love than that of a pet.  I saw a quote once that said, "a dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself..." which brings me to #2 on the list:

2.  I am thankful for my Oreck vacuum.  Without it, we would certainly be overtaken by the pet-hair tumbleweeds that accumulate in our house daily. 

3.  I am thankful for real mail.  Nothing makes my day like seeing a letter or card from friends and family.

4.  I am thankful that my daddy taught me how to properly use a knife - an important skill for someone who finds herself in the kitchen as often as I do.  Never expose your fingers. (if only I had generalized this rule of thumb (ha!) when using The German's fancy Pampered Chef mandoline tool.  That was an unfortunate little mishap.  Thank goodness for the Colonial and his Army first aid kit)

5.  I am thankful that every time I turn on my shower or sink faucet, clean water comes directly to me.  I can't believe how much I took this for granted in years past.  Traveling to other parts of the world made me realize how much of a gift this really is.

6. I am thankful that there are people in this world with the fortitude and gumption to fight for the underdogs.  They are a source of inspiration and are selfless in their efforts to make our world a better place.

7.  I am thankful for Pumpkin Spice creamer.  Now that I can purchase an entire vat of Autumn in a bottle, I am no longer a slave to Starbucks and their cranky baristas. 

8.  As shameful as it might be to say so - I am thankful for Facebook.  It is like a portal to home and the friends and family that I miss so much.

9.  I am thankful for my new Time Card Pro app.  Before I discovered this little gem, I had to calculate monthly work hours by hand (causing smoke to spew from my ears as a result of over-loaded, non-math oriented brain).  Changed my life. 

10. I am thankful that I succeeded in "edifying" myself by passing my Board Exam.  Whew.  What a relief.  I worried poor hubsy to death when I called him crying last week.  It took a few excruciating seconds for me to squeak out the words, "I passed."  That wonderful man rushed home, opened a bottle of "the good wine," and took me out for a celebratory dinner.  Husband of the year. 

...and I'm extremely thankful that spiders can't fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment